Friday, October 2, 2009

Northward... from Bali to Bangkok

The last day of my and Isabel's motorbike trip we stopped at a water palace of Balinese royalty from the 20s. An earthquake had destroyed it in the 70s.

This photo is taken from one of the buildings on the top looking up at a central mountain.


















This is the view to the right. Manicured ponds dotted a courtyard all the way to the sea.


I loved my time in Bali. It is a really unique island; a rich Hindi anamoly in an archipelago of Muslim tradition and oppression in some places (Aceh, Java has approved shariah law - stoning and lashings for adultery and prostitution), and environmental disaster as of the last week. Projections of 1,100 Sumatrans in the death toll from the earthquake two days ago. Sumatra is an island close to Bali. (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/world/asia/03quake.html?_r=1&hp).

I will definitely go back to Bali. I think I would like to go back for a month or two and road bike around the island.





September 29 I arrived in Bangkok to meet Carrie, an old friend from Memphis, and immediately started the process for getting my visas to Laos and Cambodia. The city is big and smoggy, so I am very excited to get out of it. I walked around this market early in the morning with Carrie, the pungent smell of fish, humidity, and exhaust. The market borders this canal, and these canals run through the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment